-   -   Passwords (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/429084-passwords.html)

Still Learning

Passwords

I know how to protect certain cells so that different users can only access
what they are allowed, and I know how to password protect a sheet. How can I
combine the two so that when you use a password to open a workbook, it only
gives you access to what you are allowed.

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris

joel

Passwords

Get the environmental variable for the username usingg this code

User = Environ("UserName")

then you can have a list of users that the macro will automatically unprotect

"Still Learning" wrote:

I know how to protect certain cells so that different users can only access
what they are allowed, and I know how to password protect a sheet. How can I
combine the two so that when you use a password to open a workbook, it only
gives you access to what you are allowed.

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris

Still Learning

Passwords

Will that make it so when Joe logs in, he only has access to a1, Steve can
access b1 and Mary can access c1?

"Still Learning" wrote:

I know how to protect certain cells so that different users can only access
what they are allowed, and I know how to password protect a sheet. How can I
combine the two so that when you use a password to open a workbook, it only
gives you access to what you are allowed.

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris

joel

Passwords

Put this code into a workbook open event

User = Environ("UserName")
select case User
Case "Joe"
'add code to unprotect a1
Case "Mary"
'add code to unprotect b1
Case "Steve"
'add code to unprotect c1
end select

"Still Learning" wrote:

I know how to protect certain cells so that different users can only access
what they are allowed, and I know how to password protect a sheet. How can I
combine the two so that when you use a password to open a workbook, it only
gives you access to what you are allowed.

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris

Still Learning

Passwords

I guess I didn't explain this very well, let me try again.

If someone opens a protected workbook with a password, how do I give them
different access based on which password they enter? If they open
"schedule.xls" and it asks them for a password, if they type "joe" as a
password, they get to enter data in a1. "steve" would allow them b1...

Hopefully this clears this up.

Thanks,
Chris

joel

Passwords

I would have a hidden worksheet with usernames in column A and Pasword in
column B and access range for each user in columns C, column D column E, ...

then you can have an input boxes where the usere type in his name and
password. then you can use a lookup to verify the user and pasword and then
unlock the ranges specified in column C+.