-   -   Shape adjustments - how to calculate adjustment for trapezoid (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/427702-shape-adjustments-how-calculate-adjustment-trapezoid.html)

Carl

Shape adjustments - how to calculate adjustment for trapezoid

I am having problems getting correct adjustments figure for a trapezoid. In
Excel 2003 it was in a range of 0 to 0.5 with 0.5 effectively giving a
triangle.

In Excel 2007 this figure now seems depend on the height and width as well
(ie if you have a short wide shape the figure to get half way accross is much
higher).

I have not been able to discern how this is calculated and need to do this
as I am creating a diagram with several of these used which need to be
adjusted as a ratio from top to bottom (which worked easily in XL2003)

Andy Pope

Shape adjustments - how to calculate adjustment for trapezoid

Hi,

To form a triangle from the trapezoid the adjustment value is the ratio

1 / (Height/(Width/2))

I have an illustrative example which I will add to my site over the weekend.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Carl" wrote in message
I am having problems getting correct adjustments figure for a trapezoid. In
Excel 2003 it was in a range of 0 to 0.5 with 0.5 effectively giving a
triangle.

In Excel 2007 this figure now seems depend on the height and width as well
(ie if you have a short wide shape the figure to get half way accross is
much
higher).

I have not been able to discern how this is calculated and need to do this
as I am creating a diagram with several of these used which need to be
adjusted as a ratio from top to bottom (which worked easily in XL2003)

Thanks Andy - does the job perfectly (even though means version specific code required which is a pain).

Is there any documentation by microsoft on what the adjustments are for the
various shapes and how calculated - this seems to be poorly (or obscurely)
documented.

Carl.

Andy Pope

Shape adjustments - how to calculate adjustment for trapezoid

Looks to be as good as it gets.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx

Cheers
Andy

[...]