-   -   using dir to get folder names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/426685-using-dir-get-folder-names.html)

pjryan

using dir to get folder names

I am using dir(path, vbdirectory) to return the names of folders and files,
but instead of getting the folder name, I am getting "." How can I remedy
this.

Thanks

Dave Peterson

using dir to get folder names

Write your code to ignore it.

.. is the shortcut for the current directory
... is the shortcut for the parent directory

In some versions of windows, you can go up the path with more and more dots.

--

Dave Peterson

Jacob Skaria

using dir to get folder names

MyPath = "c:\"
MyName = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)
Do While MyName < ""
If (GetAttr(MyPath & MyName) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
MsgBox(MyName)
End If
MyName = Dir()
Loop

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"pjryan" wrote:

I am using dir(path, vbdirectory) to return the names of folders and files,
but instead of getting the folder name, I am getting "." How can I remedy
this.

Thanks

pjryan

using dir to get folder names

thanks - I know what the "." and ".." mean when listing directories and
folders, but it did not compute to me here! I did not let my loop continue
running to see what would come next. When "." showed up first, I panicked.
Thanks

pjryan wrote:

I am using dir(path, vbdirectory) to return the names of folders and files,
but instead of getting the folder name, I am getting "." How can I remedy
this.

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Jacob Skaria

using dir to get folder names

Sorry it is my oversight...the below is to extract folders alone...
--
If this post helps click Yes