-   -   Force display to round down (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/426353-force-display-round-down.html)

chuckm

Force display to round down

Hi,
Is there a way to force the display format to always round down?

If I put a number in a cell...say 15.6, and I set the display format
to have zero decimal places, the display is 16 (rounded up) and the
cell value is still 15.6. Is there a way to have the displayed
format always round this down....so that in this case the display
would be 15 and the value would continue to be 15.6?

thanks
chuck

Jacob Skaria

Force display to round down

Use the function RoundDown

=ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"chuckm" wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to force the display format to always round down?

If I put a number in a cell...say 15.6, and I set the display format
to have zero decimal places, the display is 16 (rounded up) and the
cell value is still 15.6. Is there a way to have the displayed
format always round this down....so that in this case the display
would be 15 and the value would continue to be 15.6?

thanks
chuck

Ron Rosenfeld

Force display to round down

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:42:37 -0700 (PDT), chuckm wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to force the display format to always round down?

If I put a number in a cell...say 15.6, and I set the display format
to have zero decimal places, the display is 16 (rounded up) and the
cell value is still 15.6. Is there a way to have the displayed
format always round this down....so that in this case the display
would be 15 and the value would continue to be 15.6?

thanks
chuck

I do not believe that is possible.
--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

Force display to round down

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:53:03 -0700, Jacob Skaria
wrote:

Use the function RoundDown

=ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

Of course, that would change the value in the cell.
--ron

[email protected]

Force display to round down

On Apr 1, 2:08 pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:53:03 -0700, Jacob Skaria

wrote:
Use the function RoundDown

=ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Of course, that would change the value in the cell.
--ron

Thanks Ron,
I had experimented with FLOOR and various ROUND functions...but as you
point out, it changes the value
-chuck

Ron Rosenfeld

Force display to round down

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:55:14 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:42:37 -0700 (PDT), chuckm wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to force the display format to always round down?

If I put a number in a cell...say 15.6, and I set the display format
to have zero decimal places, the display is 16 (rounded up) and the
cell value is still 15.6. Is there a way to have the displayed
format always round this down....so that in this case the display
would be 15 and the value would continue to be 15.6?

thanks
chuck

I do not believe that is possible.
--ron

If you could store the value in one cell, and display it in another, then the
display cell could use the Floor or Rounddown function, as appropriate.
--ron

Rookie 1st class

Force display to round down

Only thing I can think of involves adding a helper cell that rounds down. The
original cell could even be hidden.
Lou