-   -   vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/425969-vlookup.html)

Steve

vlookup

I am looking for a way to develop a program that will do the following.

Lookup a number from a table and then display the proper responses.

example...I am looking for number 30013-871

In the table there are two entries:
30013-871 = M
30013-871p = P

I want the program to recognize if there is the number that I am looking for
plus a "P" on it, and display "P". If it's only the number without the P, I
want it to display "M".

Can anyone help with this??

Jacob Skaria

vlookup

Hi Steve

Try this formula..

ColA = Table of numbers
B1 = Query number
C1 = formula

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1 &
"P",$A$1:$A$10,0))=TRUE,IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$1 0,0))=TRUE,"","m"),"p")

If this helps click Yes
--------------
Jacob Skaria

"Steve" wrote:

I am looking for a way to develop a program that will do the following.

Lookup a number from a table and then display the proper responses.

example...I am looking for number 30013-871

In the table there are two entries:
30013-871 = M
30013-871p = P

I want the program to recognize if there is the number that I am looking for
plus a "P" on it, and display "P". If it's only the number without the P, I
want it to display "M".

Can anyone help with this??

ryguy7272

vlookup in

This is very good; very comprehensive:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/TablesAndLookups.aspx

This should be a little easier to digest:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...ml#IndexMatch4

HTH,
Ryan---