-   -   VBA Equivalent for Excel Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/424651-vba-equivalent-excel-function.html)

Bob Zimski

VBA Equivalent for Excel Function

I am looking for the VBA equivalent for the following function:

=isnumber(value(mid("Export20090224.xls",7,8)))

What I am trying to do is make sure that when the user saved the filename
that they entered the date properly as in 20090224 rather than 2009224. Maybe
this is a weak approach as I am just testing for the length more than
enything else. Can I get the date from the 'saved date' stamp pehaps?

If there is an even better way of doing this, then that would be great.

Thanks

Eric[_36_]

VBA Equivalent for Excel Function

Public Function GetDateName(dte As Date) As String
GetDateName = Format(dte, "YYYYMMDD")
End Function

"Bob Zimski" wrote:

I am looking for the VBA equivalent for the following function:

=isnumber(value(mid("Export20090224.xls",7,8)))

What I am trying to do is make sure that when the user saved the filename
that they entered the date properly as in 20090224 rather than 2009224. Maybe
this is a weak approach as I am just testing for the length more than
enything else. Can I get the date from the 'saved date' stamp pehaps?

If there is an even better way of doing this, then that would be great.

Thanks

OssieMac

VBA Equivalent for Excel Function

Hi Bob,

Dim strFileName As String

strFileName = "Export" & Format(Date, "yyyymmdd") & ".xls"

MsgBox strFileName 'For testing only

OssieMac

"Bob Zimski" wrote:

I am looking for the VBA equivalent for the following function:

=isnumber(value(mid("Export20090224.xls",7,8)))

What I am trying to do is make sure that when the user saved the filename
that they entered the date properly as in 20090224 rather than 2009224. Maybe
this is a weak approach as I am just testing for the length more than
enything else. Can I get the date from the 'saved date' stamp pehaps?

If there is an even better way of doing this, then that would be great.

Thanks

Rick Rothstein

VBA Equivalent for Excel Function

You can test this way (where the variable FileName is assumed to hold the
filename entered by the user)...

If FileName Like "*########.xls" Then
MsgBox "The shape of the filename appears to be correct"
Else
MsgBox "Something appears to be wrong with the filename"
End If

If the

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bob Zimski" wrote in message
I am looking for the VBA equivalent for the following function:

=isnumber(value(mid("Export20090224.xls",7,8)))

What I am trying to do is make sure that when the user saved the filename
that they entered the date properly as in 20090224 rather than 2009224.
Maybe
this is a weak approach as I am just testing for the length more than
enything else. Can I get the date from the 'saved date' stamp pehaps?

If there is an even better way of doing this, then that would be great.

Thanks

OssieMac

VBA Equivalent for Excel Function

Hi again Bob,

Not sure if that code needed any more explanation but to save you time just
in case.

Date in VBA is today's date.

You can use a date variable in place of Date. The following code assigns
today's date to a date variable and uses the date variable. You could assign
any valid date to a date variable to use for the file name.

Dim dateToDay As Date
Dim strFileName As String

dateToDay = Date 'Today's date

strFileName = "Export" & Format(dateToDay, "yyyymmdd") & ".xls"