Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XL2003 Embedded Charts

I'm having trouble trying to modify the Values property of a SERIES object
for an embedded chart. I've tried vaious permutations around statements such
as

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Values = ranSchValuesRange

ranSchValuesRange is a Range object set to the values to be used by the
SERIES object. I've tried using the ARRAY definition as well and this makes
no difference. I keep getting the error message

Unable to set the Values property of the Series class

I'm sure I've used this type of statement before but for a Chart sheet but I
keep running into difficulties trying to replicate some procedures for
embedded charts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It would help to know which error you see.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Alistair F" wrote in message
I'm having trouble trying to modify the Values property of a SERIES object
for an embedded chart. I've tried vaious permutations around statements
such
as

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Values = ranSchValuesRange

ranSchValuesRange is a Range object set to the values to be used by the
SERIES object. I've tried using the ARRAY definition as well and this
makes
no difference. I keep getting the error message

Unable to set the Values property of the Series class

I'm sure I've used this type of statement before but for a Chart sheet but
keep running into difficulties trying to replicate some procedures for
embedded charts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The error message is:

Run time error 1004

Unable to set the Values property of the Series class

Cheers

Alistair

"Alistair F" wrote in message
I'm having trouble trying to modify the Values property of a SERIES object
for an embedded chart. I've tried vaious permutations around statements
such
as

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Values = ranSchValuesRange

ranSchValuesRange is a Range object set to the values to be used by the
SERIES object. I've tried using the ARRAY definition as well and this
makes
no difference. I keep getting the error message

Unable to set the Values property of the Series class

I'm sure I've used this type of statement before but for a Chart sheet but
keep running into difficulties trying to replicate some procedures for
embedded charts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is it an XY or Line chart? Does the series have no valid plottable data
(i.e., only blanks or errors)?

Temporarily convert the series to another type (area or column), assign the
data, than change the type back.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Alistair F" wrote in message
The error message is:

Run time error 1004

"Alistair F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's a line chart and there are no data which is why I want to swap the
Values range to another that does have values. Does the fact that the cells
in the Values range are all Blanks cause a problem?

Cheers

Alistair

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Is it an XY or Line chart? Does the series have no valid plottable data
(i.e., only blanks or errors)?

Temporarily convert the series to another type (area or column), assign the
data, than change the type back.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Alistair F" wrote in message
The error message is:

Run time error 1004

"Alistair F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's exactly right, and it's why I suggested temporarily changing the
chart type to a type (area or column) that doesn't suffer from this problem.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Is it an XY or Line chart? Does the series have no valid plottable data
(i.e., only blanks or errors)?

Temporarily convert the series to another type (area or column), assign
the
data, than change the type back.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Alistair F" wrote in message
The error message is:

Run time error 1004

"Alistair F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I've tried a different chart type and am able to change the Values
property. I'll devise a work around now that I understand the problem (I
think!).

Cheers, and thanks for your help

Alistair Fyfe

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Is it an XY or Line chart? Does the series have no valid plottable data
(i.e., only blanks or errors)?

Temporarily convert the series to another type (area or column), assign
the
data, than change the type back.

- Jon
-------