-   -   Formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/423921-formula.html)

Cazumel

Formula

I have the following situation

Cell A

Abdal-Ghaffar, NadyN14264504Middle Eastern and Islamic StudiesPHD

Cell B

Abdal-Ghaffar, Nady

how do i build a formula on cell Cell C to look up the name on the text
string

JBeaucaire[_153_]

Formula

Assuming that string is in A2 and the name is always followed by a
comma, this formula will pull out the name:

=LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Cazumel

Formula

Hi Thank you so much for your help , I am still stcuk a bit I do not want to
separete the name but to look up in another cell

Cell A =A bdal-Ghaffar, NadyN14264504Middle Eastern and Islamic StudiesPHD

Cell B = Abdal-Ghaffar, Nady

Cell C = look up B in A and return to C

Thank you

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

Assuming that string is in A2 and the name is always followed by a
comma, this formula will pull out the name:

=LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=62747

mdmackillop[_24_]

Formula

=IF(ISERR(SEARCH(B1,A1)),"Not Found",A1)

--
mdmackillop
mdmackillop's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=113