-   -   How to count the number of matching text in a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/422959-how-count-number-matching-text-column.html)

Redwan

How to count the number of matching text in a column

It is one column contains set of formula results for the different type of
sensors used in a control system €“ Duct Temperature sensor, Humidity Sensor,
etc-
I want to count (SUM) the number of the occurrences of each item in the
column to use in another worksheet ( Pricing work Sheet)

Dave Peterson

How to count the number of matching text in a column

=countif(sheet1!a:a,"duct temperature sensor")

Maybe????

--

Dave Peterson

Gary''s Student

How to count the number of matching text in a column

Use =COUNTIF()

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"*apples*")
=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"*peaches*")
=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"*pumpkin pies*")