-   -   Detect if a Defined Name Exists (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/422448-detect-if-defined-name-exists.html)

Rob

Detect if a Defined Name Exists

Hi. I was wondering if there was a way for a macro to detect if there was a
field name already in use for a workbook?

I already tried...
If Exist Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") Then

As well as...
If Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") = True Then

Thanks very much,
Rob

Gary''s Student

Detect if a Defined Name Exists

Function NameExist(s As String) As Boolean
Dim n As Name
NameExist = False
If ActiveWorkbook.Names.Count = 0 Then Exit Function
For Each n In ActiveWorkbook.Names
If s = n.Name Then
NameExist = True
Exit Function
End If
Next
End Function

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200826

"Rob" wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if there was a way for a macro to detect if there was a
field name already in use for a workbook?

I already tried...
If Exist Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") Then

As well as...
If Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") = True Then

Thanks very much,
Rob

Jarek Kujawa[_2_]

Detect if a Defined Name Exists

adjust "sth" name to suit yr needs

Sub cus2()
Dim nom As Name

For Each nom In ActiveWorkbook.Names
If nom.Name = "sth" Then
MsgBox "Name 'sth' exists in this workbook"
End If
Next nom

End Sub

On 14 Sty, 14:23, Rob wrote:
Hi. *I was wondering if there was a way for a macro to detect if there was a
field name already in use for a workbook?

I already tried...
If Exist Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") Then

As well as...
If Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") = True Then

Thanks very much,
Rob

Rob

Detect if a Defined Name Exists

Thank You Very Much! That Worked Perfectly!

Cheers.

"Rob" wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if there was a way for a macro to detect if there was a
field name already in use for a workbook?

I already tried...
If Exist Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") Then

As well as...
If Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1") = True Then

Thanks very much,
Rob

Dave Peterson

Detect if a Defined Name Exists

dim myName as Name

Set myName = nothing
on error resume next
set myname = Workbooks("Export.xls").Names("DATA1")
on error goto 0

if myname is nothing then
'doesn't exist
else