-   -   link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/421898-link-comments-section-properties-dialog-box-footer-excel.html)

Forum freak \(at work\)

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Gary''s Student

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel

Sub Macro1()
s = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties.Item(5).V alue
ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = s
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote:

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Forum freak \(at work\)

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel

Thanks Gary that worked a treat.

For future reference is it possible to put the value into a cell?

Regards
Kenny

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote:

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Gary''s Student

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Ex

Su

Sub Macro1()
s = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties.Item(5).V alue
Range("A1").Value = s

Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote:

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Forum freak \(at work\)

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Ex

Many,many thanks,

Worked perfectly!

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote:

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot
and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the
comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Gord Dibben

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel

Add this UDF to your workbook.

Function DocProps(prop As String)
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

In a cell enter =docprops("Comments")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote:

Hi

I use the Comments section in Summary of File Properties quite a lot and
would like to link the contents into the file footer.

I managed this when using Microsoft Word by inserting the field code
{COMMENTS} into the footer then creating a macro to update it on file
closure. Sadly I have not been able to do this with Excel.

I can reference a cell in the footer but cant seem to link the comments
section to a cell - can anyone help?

Regards
Kenny W
XP Pro and Office 2003

Gord Dibben

link comments section of properties dialog box to footer in Excel

In addition, run this macro get a complete list on a new sheet.

Sub documentprops()
'list of properties on a new sheet
rw = 1
Worksheets.Add
For Each p In ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties
Cells(rw, 1).Value = p.Name
Cells(rw, 4).Value = "=DocProps(" & "A" & rw & ")"
rw = rw + 1
Next
End Sub

Or this one to get a list of Custom Properties if you have any.

Sub customprops()
rw = 1
Worksheets.Add
For Each p In ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
Cells(rw, 1).Value = p.Name
Cells(rw, 4).Value = p.Value
rw = rw + 1
Next