-   -   Choosing a cell with the greater number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/421355-choosing-cell-greater-number.html)

Maddie

Choosing a cell with the greater number

Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. In column
C, I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? Thank you.

Luke M

Choosing a cell with the greater number

=MAX(A1,B1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Maddie" wrote:

Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. In column
C, I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? Thank you.

Maddie

Choosing a cell with the greater number

Thank you, I've been racking my brains on this and it was so simple. You're
a lifesaver!
-Maddie

"Luke M" wrote:

=MAX(A1,B1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Maddie" wrote:

Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. In column
C, I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? Thank you.

L. Howard Kittle

Choosing a cell with the greater number

If I understand correctly, try this and pull down in column C.

=LARGE(A1:B1,1)

If you want the largest number from either column A or B then try this in
C1.

=LARGE(A1:B50,1)

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Maddie" wrote in message
Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. In
column
C, I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? Thank you.

ward376

Choosing a cell with the greater number

In column c -
=IF(A1B1,A1,B1)

Ken

Choosing a cell with the greater number

Maddie

Try, in column C (c1)

=max(a1:b1)

Copy down column c for a row by row determination of the greater of
column A or B.

Ken

On Dec 15, 3:21*pm, Maddie wrote:
Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. *In column
C, *I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. *Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? *Thank you. *

Know Enough to be Dangerous

Choosing a cell with the greater number

In cell C1, enter: =Max(A1,B1). Then, copy this formula down column C
as needed.

[email protected]

On Dec 15, 3:21 pm, Maddie wrote:
Column A has a list of numbers and Column B has a list of numbers. In column
C, I would like it to select the greater number from cell A or B. Can
somebody tell me how to formulate that? Thank you.

Try using the MAX function. For example, if you have a number in cell
A1 and another number in cell B1, place the following formula in cell
C1: =MAX(A1,B1). I think that this is what you are asking.