-   -   column adjustments (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/420872-column-adjustments.html)

dstiefe

column adjustments

I am writing the VBA code that is telling me what column a certain piece of
data is in...but instead of giving me the number of the column...is there
someway through VBA that it i can get the letter reference.

Rick Rothstein

column adjustments

The code you would use depends on what you are doing to locate the column.
For example, if you have the column number, you could do this...

ColNum = 4
ColLetter = Split(Columns(ColNum).Address(0,0),":")(0)

If you have a cell reference that is in that column, then you could do
this...

ColLetter = Split(CellReference.Address(1, 0), "$")(0)

There are lots of possibilities depending on what you are doing... can you
show us the code you have so we can give you a specific answer.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"dstiefe" wrote in message
I am writing the VBA code that is telling me what column a certain piece of
data is in...but instead of giving me the number of the column...is there
someway through VBA that it i can get the letter reference.

JLGWhiz

column adjustments

Here is a Function, courtesy Chip Pearson.

Function ColumnLetter(ColNumber) As String
ColumnLetter = Left(Cells(1, ColNumber).Address(True, False), _
1 - (ColNumber 26))
End Function

To use the function in code, assume you have set a column number to variable
myCol then:

myColLtr = ColumnLetter(myCol)

myColLtr will now equal an alpha column designation.