-   -   Linking time values (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/417892-linking-time-values.html)

Blaw28

Linking time values

I am conducting a research project in Excel which requires me to record data
at specific increments of time (say every 30 minutes). Does anyone know if
there is a way to link a cell (A) to another cell (B) so that A captures the
data in B at a specified time of the day, say 10:30 am?

Thank you

Chip Pearson

Linking time values

You can use a circular reference to do this. First, go to the Tools
menu, choose Options, then the Calculation tab. There, check the
Iterations box. Now, use the following formula in B1

=IF(MOD(MINUTE(NOW()),30)=0,A1,D1)

Here, if the minute of the current time of day is 30 or 0, the formula
returns the value in A1. Otherwise, the value remains the same. This
way, the formula updates itself from A1 every 30 minutes.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group