-   -   FileSearch on a remote server (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/417561-filesearch-remote-server.html)

Mike Archer

FileSearch on a remote server

Hello - I am using FileSearch to search for files on a remote server. On
some of the machines, it is taking a long time to return the results (which I
expect). On other machines, .Execute is returning 0 after a few seconds.
Any suggestions on how to manipulate these machines to take the necessary
time to return the correct result would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks,
Mike

Dave Peterson

FileSearch on a remote server

Filesearch is flakey. I'm not sure that there's anything that you can do to
make sure it works correctly. In fact, MS dropped filesearch from xl2007!

And you've been kind of lucky that it failed by returning 0. It could have
failed by missing a few and you may not have noticed!

Ron de Bruin has an alternative using scripting:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/fso.htm
and using dir():
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm