-   -   Retrieving Part of a Cell Contents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/417292-retrieving-part-cell-contents.html)

Minitman

Retrieving Part of a Cell Contents

Greetings,

I have a column of text that has a "_" in the middle of the text.
This "_" is in different places in these cells. I want to get all of
the text after these "_" and have it show up in the adjacent cells.

I took a look at Left, Right and Mid, but they don't seem to be able
to start with a character only a position.

Is there anyway to use a character to start character retrieval
instead of position?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman

Mike H

Retrieving Part of a Cell Contents

Try this

=MID(A1,SEARCH("_",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

Mike

"Minitman" wrote:

Greetings,

I have a column of text that has a "_" in the middle of the text.
This "_" is in different places in these cells. I want to get all of
the text after these "_" and have it show up in the adjacent cells.

I took a look at Left, Right and Mid, but they don't seem to be able
to start with a character only a position.

Is there anyway to use a character to start character retrieval
instead of position?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman

[email protected]

On Sep 18, 3:00*pm, Minitman wrote:
Greetings,

I have a column of text that has a "_" in the middle of the text.
This "_" is in different places in these cells. *I want to get all of
the text after these "_" and have it show up in the adjacent cells.

I took a look at Left, Right and Mid, but they don't seem to be able
to start with a character only a position.

Is there anyway to use a character to start character retrieval
instead of position?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman

Hi Minitman,

This should do it for you.

MyString = ActiveCell.Value
PartString = Mid(MyString, InStr(MyString, "_") + 1, _
Len(MyString) - (InStr(MyString, "_")))

Steven

Minitman

Retrieving Part of a Cell Contents

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I was missing the "Search"
command.

Thank you.

-Minitman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:10:01 -0700, Mike H
wrote:

Try this

=MID(A1,SEARCH("_",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

Mike

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:16:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sep 18, 3:00*pm, Minitman wrote:
Greetings,

I have a column of text that has a "_" in the middle of the text.
This "_" is in different places in these cells. *I want to get all of
the text after these "_" and have it show up in the adjacent cells.

I took a look at Left, Right and Mid, but they don't seem to be able
to start with a character only a position.

Is there anyway to use a character to start character retrieval
instead of position?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman

Hi Minitman,

This should do it for you.

MyString = ActiveCell.Value
PartString = Mid(MyString, InStr(MyString, "_") + 1, _
Len(MyString) - (InStr(MyString, "_")))

Steven

Hey Steven,

Thanks for the reply.

My mistake, I forgot to mention that I need a cell formula, not a vba
solution.

Thanks for trying.

-Minitman

Rick Rothstein

Retrieving Part of a Cell Contents

My mistake, I forgot to mention that I need a cell formula,
not a vba solution.

Since this is a programming newsgroup, it will normally provide VBA
solutions. If you are seeking formula solutions in the future, the
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions would be a better newsgroup to
post to for them.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Minitman