-   -   identify specific word in a range of words (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/417000-identify-specific-word-range-words.html)

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

Ron,

yes I tried to apply the standard functions but cannot solve it myself.

i need to find the string "non approved" in a sentence.

regards.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Otto Moehrbach[_2_]

identify specific word in a range of words

Specifically, what happened when you used Edit - Find? Exactly what did you
do when you used Edit - Find? Otto

wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Gord Dibben

identify specific word in a range of words

You are posting in programming group.

Do you want to use VBA to find the string?

And what will you do with the result when you have found the string?

Do you want to replace with another? Highlight the cell? Highlight the
string within the sentence?

Without programming..............................

EditFindWhat: not approved

Make sure you don't have "match entire cell contents" enabled.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Mike H

identify specific word in a range of words

Jan,

You aren't being really clear about what you want. The finds the position of
the first letter of the string in the sentence in a1

=SEARCH("non approved",A1)

Having found that what do you want to do?

Mike

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

=(IF(D2="30000104";0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("TRAVEL";F2;1 ));0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("NON
APPROVED";F2;1));0;H2/520))))

F2 contains the text, if it either contains "travel" or "non approved" the
output should be 0 if not the result must be H2/520

wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

your right.

=(IF(D2="30000104";0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("TRAVEL";F2;1 ));0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("NON
APPROVED";F2;1));0;H2/520))))

F2 contains the text, if it either contains "travel" or "non approved" the
output should be 0 if not the result must be H2/520

hope this helps

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Rick Rothstein

identify specific word in a range of words

Here is another way for you to try...

=IF(D2="30000104",0,IF(COUNTIF(F2,"*travel*")+COUN TIF(F2,"*non
approved*")0,0,H2/520))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

your right.

wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

i got it to work, the if tru/ not true where mixed up

=(IF(D4="30000104";0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("TRAVEL";F4)) ;IF(ISERROR(FIND("NON
APPROVED";F4));H4/520;0);0)))

your right.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Mike H

identify specific word in a range of words

Jan,

Note i've changed ; to , for my machine, change it back for yours

=IF(D2=30000104,0,IF(AND(ISERROR(SEARCH("Travel",F 2)),ISERROR(SEARCH("Non
Approved",F2))),H2/520,0))

Mike

"jan" wrote:

i got it to work, the if tru/ not true where mixed up

=(IF(D4="30000104";0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("TRAVEL";F4)) ;IF(ISERROR(FIND("NON
APPROVED";F4));H4/520;0);0)))

your right.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Mike H

identify specific word in a range of words

Forgot to mention I also took 30000104 out of quotes because I guess its a
number if its really text then put the quotes back

Mike

"jan" wrote:

i got it to work, the if tru/ not true where mixed up

=(IF(D4="30000104";0;IF(ISERROR(FIND("TRAVEL";F4)) ;IF(ISERROR(FIND("NON
APPROVED";F4));H4/520;0);0)))

your right.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:01 -0700, jan wrote:

i'm struggling to find a word in a specif text string, any ideas?

thanks

Did you try the FIND or SEARCH worksheet functions?
--ron

Jan

identify specific word in a range of words

thanks guy's, apprecite the help.

regards from the Netherlands

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Here is another way for you to try...

=IF(D2="30000104",0,IF(COUNTIF(F2,"*travel*")+COUN TIF(F2,"*non
approved*")0,0,H2/520))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

your right.