-   -   count formula problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/414569-count-formula-problem.html)

len

count formula problem

I have a formula in excell to count the amount of cells that contain numbers.
I use this formula =COUNT(A1:A90) and if the count was 30 I would get 31. I
have two other sheets in the same file where the calculations are correct.

The only way I can get the correct calculation is to do this formula
=COUNT(A1:A90)-1

Any ideas?

Wigi

count formula problem

Is there a cell that you think is text, but in fact is a number?

Can you restrict your range of cells to a smaller range, hence see whether
the formula is correct or not? Do this continuously until you get the cell
that is causing the divergence. Perhaps merged cells could be a problem.

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

"Len" wrote:

I have a formula in excell to count the amount of cells that contain numbers.
I use this formula =COUNT(A1:A90) and if the count was 30 I would get 31. I
have two other sheets in the same file where the calculations are correct.

The only way I can get the correct calculation is to do this formula
=COUNT(A1:A90)-1

Any ideas?

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_2388_]

count formula problem

See if this helps you spot the "extra" number. Select the cells from A1 to
A90 by typing A1:A90 in the Name Box (the blank box to the left of the
Formula Bar), click Format/ConditionalFormatting from Excel's menu bar,
select "Formula Is" from the first drop-down box, copy/paste this...

=COUNT(A1)=1

into the blank field next to it, click the Format button and select a color
from the Patterns tab, then OK your way back to the worksheet. All the
numbers being counted by the formula you posted will be highlighted in the
color you selected. Just look at each of them to see what is being counted
that you did not think should be counted. When you are done, you can go back
to the Conditional Formatting dialog box and Delete the conditional format.

Rick