-   -   Make a shortcut to a file - code (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/413730-make-shortcut-file-code.html)

Jim

Make a shortcut to a file - code

I want to make a shortcut to a file and place it in another folder. The name
of the file will be something like "shortcut to myfile.xls"

Ron de Bruin

Make a shortcut to a file - code

Hi Jim

This example will place a shortcut to the activeworkbook on the desktop
Change DesktopPath to your folder

Sub Desktopshortcut()
Dim WSHShell As Object
Dim MyShortcut As Object
Dim DesktopPath As String
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
DesktopPath = WSHShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
Set MyShortcut = WSHShell.CreateShortcut(DesktopPath & "\" & _
ActiveWorkbook.Name & ".lnk")
With MyShortcut
.TargetPath = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
.Save
End With
Set WSHShell = Nothing
MsgBox "A shortcut has been placed on your desktop."

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I want to make a shortcut to a file and place it in another folder. The name
of the file will be something like "shortcut to myfile.xls"

Tom Ogilvy

Make a shortcut to a file - code

If you don't get a better answer, look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242297/en-us
HOWTO: Use Windows Script Host to Create Shortcut with Parameters

Tom Ogilvy

"Jim" wrote:

I want to make a shortcut to a file and place it in another folder. The name
of the file will be something like "shortcut to myfile.xls"

Jim

Make a shortcut to a file - code

Thanks, got this to work. Didnt origionally plan on making the active
workbook the file for the source but it actually turned out to work better.
thanks again everyone.

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I want to make a shortcut to a file and place it in another folder. The name
of the file will be something like "shortcut to myfile.xls"

Jim

Make a shortcut to a file - code

ok, part 2: what if I want the code to create a shortcut to a folder? I cant
use the active workbook name, SO, would i just set the target path =
c:\thepathIWant??? And would the extention still be .ink for MyShortcut?