-   -   Changing text to formula in a range of cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/413612-changing-text-formula-range-cells.html)

Bob Arnett

Changing text to formula in a range of cells

I'm new in Excel having recently moved from another spreadsheet brand that
didn't require the "=" preceding a formula so I'm constantly running into the
problem of having to go back and insert the "=" in each formula cell. To do
this, I came up with:

Sub Equation()

With Selection
.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & .FormulaR1C1
End With

End Sub

.... which works perfectly as long as only one cell is selected. If I select
a range of cells I get the error message:

Run-time error '13':
Type mismatch

What to do?

Tim Zych

Changing text to formula in a range of cells

How about looping.

Dim rng As Range, cell As Range
Set rng = Selection
For Each cell In rng.Cells
cell.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & cell.Value
Next

--
Tim Zych
www.higherdata.com

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
I'm new in Excel having recently moved from another spreadsheet brand that
didn't require the "=" preceding a formula so I'm constantly running into
the
problem of having to go back and insert the "=" in each formula cell. To
do
this, I came up with:

Sub Equation()

With Selection
.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & .FormulaR1C1
End With

End Sub

... which works perfectly as long as only one cell is selected. If I
select
a range of cells I get the error message:

Run-time error '13':
Type mismatch

What to do?

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_2235_]

Changing text to formula in a range of cells

You will want to iterate through the cells in the Selection...

Dim R As Range
For Each R In Selection
R.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & R.FormulaR1C1
Next

Rick

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
I'm new in Excel having recently moved from another spreadsheet brand
that
didn't require the "=" preceding a formula so I'm constantly running into
the
problem of having to go back and insert the "=" in each formula cell. To
do
this, I came up with:

Sub Equation()

With Selection
.FormulaR1C1 = "=" & .FormulaR1C1
End With

End Sub

... which works perfectly as long as only one cell is selected. If I
select
a range of cells I get the error message:

Run-time error '13':
Type mismatch

What to do?

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_2236_]

Changing text to formula in a range of cells

Sorry... I accidentally sent this post when I actually meant to cancel it.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
[...]

Cool! Worked perfectly. I'll get the hang of this yet.