-   -   Opening a file from another file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/413546-opening-file-another-file.html)

steven

Opening a file from another file

I have a file File01.xls that has a macro that opens file File02.xls with :

Private Sub MacroOpenFile02()
Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\File02.xls", Password:="aoaoao"
Application.Run "'C:\File02.xls'!Auto_Open"
Windows("File01.xls").Close (0)
End Sub

If I already have the file open and accidentally click the macro to open it
again I will get a message that the file is already open, do I want to reopen
the file Yes, No. If I click Yes it opens File02.xls again and all is ok but
if I click No then I get an error. How do I handle this situation.

Thank you,

Steven

Dave Peterson

Opening a file from another file

Private Sub MacroOpenFile02()
dim Wkbk as workbook
dim myFileName as string
dim myPath as string

mypath = "C:\" '<- include that backslash!
myfilename = "file02.xls"

set wkbk = nothing
on error resume next
set wkbk = workbooks(myfileName)
on error goto 0

if wkbk is nothing then
'it's not open
set wkbk = workbooks.Open(Filename:=mypath & myfilename, _
Password:="aoaoao")
wkbk.runautomacros which:=xlAutoOpen
wkbk.close savechanges:=false
else
msgbox "The file is already open!"
end if
End Sub

The code only closed the file if it opened it.

--

Dave Peterson