-   -   Send Data From Active Sheet to Closed Sheet on Network (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/413247-send-data-active-sheet-closed-sheet-network.html)

ryguy7272

Send Data From Active Sheet to Closed Sheet on Network

I am trying to find a way to send a range (H4:J6) of data from one
worksheet, which is saved on my desktop, but could be stored anywhere, to a
specific sheet on my firm's network (intranet). Basically, I am trying to
write to a closed workbook on a network drive. I read this resource:
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...=envbadacrs2ws

I guess it can be done, but I not sure how to actually implement the
procedure.

I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

The network UNC is:
\\fsrv3\public\Forecast

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

ryguy7272

Send Data From Active Sheet to Closed Sheet on Network

I just found this resource:

This seems to do pretty much what I want to do, but how can I get it to
UPLOAD the data to a file saved on the network?

The code that I am working with is below:
Private Function GetValue(path, file, sheet, ref)
' Retrieves a value from a closed workbook
Dim arg As String

' Make sure the file exists
If Right(path, 1) < "\" Then path = path & "\"
If Dir(path & file) = "" Then
GetValue = "File Not Found"
Exit Function
End If

' Create the argument
arg = "'" & path & "[" & file & "]" & sheet & "'!" & _
Range(ref).Range("A1").Address(, , xlR1C1)

' Execute an XLM macro
GetValue = ExecuteExcel4Macro(arg)
End Function

Sub TestGetValue()
p = "\\fsrv3\public\Forecast\Display Forecast"
f = "Destination.xls"
s = "Sheet1"
a = "A1"
Range("A1") = GetValue(p, f, s, a)
End Sub

I thought, by simply reversing the values on either side fo te equality sigh
would work:
GetValue(p, f, s, a) = Range("A1")

Unfortunately, it doesn't work...
When I run the code like this, I get a message that says:
Run Time Error 424
Object Required

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to send a range (H4:J6) of data from one
worksheet, which is saved on my desktop, but could be stored anywhere, to a
specific sheet on my firm's network (intranet). Basically, I am trying to
write to a closed workbook on a network drive. I read this resource:
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...=envbadacrs2ws

I guess it can be done, but I not sure how to actually implement the
procedure.

I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

The network UNC is:
\\fsrv3\public\Forecast

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

ryguy7272

Send Data From Active Sheet to Closed Sheet on Network

Sorry for that last double-post........

This Ron de Bruin code also pretty much does what I want:
Sub File_In_Network_Folder()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error Resume Next

'Call the macro GetRange
GetRange "\\fsrv3\public\Forecast", "Destination.xls", "Sheet1",
"A1:B4", _
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")

On Error GoTo 0
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sub GetRange(FilePath As String, FileName As String, SheetName As String, _
SourceRange As String, DestRange As Range)

Dim Start

'Go to the destination range
Application.Goto DestRange

'Resize the DestRange to the same size as the SourceRange
Set DestRange = DestRange.Resize(Range(SourceRange).Rows.Count, _
Range(SourceRange).Columns.Count)

'Add formula links to the closed file
With DestRange
.FormulaArray = "='" & FilePath & "/[" & FileName & "]" & SheetName _
& "'!" & SourceRange

'Wait
Start = Timer
Do While Timer < Start + 2
DoEvents
Loop

'Make values from the formulas
.Copy
.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
.Cells(1).Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End With
End Sub

However, I want to send the data from:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")

to:
"\\fsrv3\public\Forecast", "Destination.xls", "Sheet1", "A1:B4"

Or, something along those lines. I would really do something like this:

from:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("H4:J6")

to:
"\\fsrv3\public\Forecast", "Destination.xls", "Sheet1", " H4:J6"

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to send a range (H4:J6) of data from one
worksheet, which is saved on my desktop, but could be stored anywhere, to a
specific sheet on my firm's network (intranet). Basically, I am trying to
write to a closed workbook on a network drive. I read this resource:
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...=envbadacrs2ws

I guess it can be done, but I not sure how to actually implement the
procedure.

I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

The network UNC is:
\\fsrv3\public\Forecast

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

ryguy7272

Send Data From Active Sheet to Closed Sheet on Network

Finally found my answer he
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...r=US&sloc=&p=1

Hope others may benefit from this!!
Ryan--