-   -   Update database from ODBC query (or another method) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/413033-update-database-odbc-query-another-method.html)

Richard Edwards

Update database from ODBC query (or another method)

I am able to to pull data into Excel via ODBC query.

My question is: can I edit it?

I am able to edit the data via Access and linking the table but I cannot see
a way of doing this in Excel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

Sam Wilson

Update database from ODBC query (or another method)

Rather than using a SELECT SQL statement you need to use an UPDATE one - the
link here should help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms177523.aspx

Don't be put off by how complex it looks - the examples at the bottom should
help. As a rough idea, if you have a table with two fields, you can update
field one based on the value of field 2 with a statement as follows:

UPDATE table1
SET field1 = 'New field 1 value' WHERE field2 = 'field 2 criterion'

Sam
"Richard Edwards" wrote:

I am able to to pull data into Excel via ODBC query.

My question is: can I edit it?

I am able to edit the data via Access and linking the table but I cannot see
a way of doing this in Excel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

Richard Edwards

Update database from ODBC query (or another method)

Ahhhh...

Can this be done within MS Query by updating the SQL?

"Richard Edwards" wrote:

I am able to to pull data into Excel via ODBC query.

My question is: can I edit it?

I am able to edit the data via Access and linking the table but I cannot
see
a way of doing this in Excel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

Sam Wilson

Update database from ODBC query (or another method)

Not that I know of - I don't think MSQuery is that clever.

"Richard Edwards" wrote:

I am able to to pull data into Excel via ODBC query.

My question is: can I edit it?

I am able to edit the data via Access and linking the table but I cannot
see
a way of doing this in Excel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

Richard Edwards

Update database from ODBC query (or another method)

ok. Thanks very much.