-   -   save existing file name, different format. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/412689-save-existing-file-name-different-format.html)

SteveDB1

save existing file name, different format.

Hi all.
I've modified an existing macro, and want to do a save as.
1- I need to keep the same name.
I.e., if the existing file name is John, I'll be chaning it from
John.xls, or John.xlsm, to John.xlsx.

2- I'll be saving the file with the xlsx format.

Below is the code I'm using, after calling to another macro.
Sub SampleTest1()

Dim sFileNm As String

Application.Run "PERSONAL.XLSB!CompactAllSheets"
ChDir "S:\Assignments - Final\Truckee River Claims\BloatReducedFiles"
sFileNm = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="What's the name of the file?",
Type:=2)

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"S:\Assignments - Final\Truckee River Claims\BloatReducedFiles\" &
sFileNm & ".xlsx", _
FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook, CreateBackup:=False

I'd prefer to bypass the inputbox, and just save whatever the existing file
name is-- I'm modifying the file, and saving the new version one folder
deeper into my directory structure.

joel

save existing file name, different format.

Sub test()
Folder = ActiveWorkbook.Path
FName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
'remove extension
FName = Left(FName, InStr(FName, ".") - 1)
SaveName = Folder & "\" & FName & ".xlsx"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
FName, _
FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook

End Sub

"SteveDB1" wrote:

[...]

JLGWhiz

save existing file name, different format.

Joel, are you sure about that last line of code? Should that be FName or
SaveName?