Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Prevent Errors When Using Links

My company has a TON of excel files (like many do). We quite often
use links to previous files (like many do). But as we all know if we
go into the original document and move cell, say C3 to D3. Then a link
that originally referenced cell C3 now references the wrong cell.

My thought of a solution was to program a utility(add-in). The utility
would be ran on every save and would check the currently being saved
file for links. If there was a link it would open up the source file
and create a tab (that will be hidden) and will do nothing more than
store a list of files(and cells) that link to this file. If a user
then tries to edit the spreadsheet and save it they will get a message
warning them about the links that will be affected. And then prompted
to be able to change these links.

Does anyone have a better solution?