-   -   Recover modules and forms from a damaged spreadsheet. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/412142-recover-modules-forms-damaged-spreadsheet.html)

Pred

Recover modules and forms from a damaged spreadsheet.

One of my spreadsheet got corrupted today. I don't know why.

So much corrupted that Excel had to "Repair" it when I tried to re-open the
file. Unfortunately I have made several changes to my VBA code between and I
just "Save" the file. I know! I should have done a "Save as".

When Excel "Repairs" a file, it looks at spreadsheet data only. So I have
lost all my VBA code.

Is there a way to recover the VBA code as well?

My only alternative for now is to restore the file from yesterday's backup
and redo my VBA code.

René

Dave Peterson

Recover modules and forms from a damaged spreadsheet.

You may want to try OpenOffice.org and try opening, then saving (as a new
name). It's been known to save some (not always all) data, formatting, formulas
and code.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson

Pred

Recover modules and forms from a damaged spreadsheet.

I'll have a look at OpenOffice.org.
Thanks Dave.

By the way, my file got restored and it took me about 45 minutes to redo my
today's work. Less painfulf than I thought!

Pred wrote:

One of my spreadsheet got corrupted today. I don't know why.

So much corrupted that Excel had to "Repair" it when I tried to re-open the
file. Unfortunately I have made several changes to my VBA code between and I
just "Save" the file. I know! I should have done a "Save as".

When Excel "Repairs" a file, it looks at spreadsheet data only. So I have
lost all my VBA code.

Is there a way to recover the VBA code as well?

My only alternative for now is to restore the file from yesterday's backup
and redo my VBA code.

René

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Recover modules and forms from a damaged spreadsheet.

Time to make backups!