-   -   substring method for VBScript (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/412038-substring-method-vbscript.html)

[email protected]

substring method for VBScript

I've been searching for a substr method for VBScript. Is there one?
Thanks!

Bob Phillips

substring method for VBScript

Use Mid$

MID$(string, start, len)

--
HTH

Bob

wrote in message
I've been searching for a substr method for VBScript. Is there one?
Thanks!

Jim Cone[_2_]

substring method for VBScript

VBA and VBS are not the same thing.
Which one are you referring to?
What does your "substr" method do?
What version of Excel do you use?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

wrote in message
I've been searching for a substr method for VBScript. Is there one?
Thanks!

[email protected]

substring method for VBScript

Hi!
I'm using Excel 2003 - writing a script with VBScript to read in data
from a CSV file.
One of the fields ("Client Name") will be used as the name of a
Worksheet and all the customer's info will be in the worksheet.
The field is free text, and sometimes contains illegal characters (for
Worksheet name) - *?[]\/ - and is sometimes too long.

Replace clientName, "*", "#"
Replace clientName, "\", "|"
Replace clientName, "/", "|"
Replace clientName, "?", "!"
Replace clientName, "[", "{"
Replace clientName, "]", "}"
If Len(clientName) 30 Then
clientName = Substring(clientName, 1, 30)
End If

I don't think these rows work in VBScript...
Thanks for any help,
Mechi

Portland, Oregon *USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware

wrote in message

I've been searching for a substr method for VBScript. *Is there one?
Thanks!

Jim Cone[_2_]

substring method for VBScript

If you are using the Visual Basic Editor and not
the Microsoft Script Editor then try...

clientName = Replace(clientName, "*", "#")
clientName = Replace(clientName, "\", "|")
clientName = Replace(clientName, "/", "|")
clientName = Replace(clientName, "?", "!")
clientName = Replace(clientName, "[", "{")
clientName = Replace(clientName, "]", "}")
clientName = Left(clientName, 30)
--

wrote in message
I've been searching for a substr method for VBScript. Is there one?
Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

It worked!!!
I'm using VBSedit (free version)
Thanks!