-   -   Application.StatusBar or equivalent for user defined functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/409620-application-statusbar-equivalent-user-defined-functions.html)

Bob Nyholm

Application.StatusBar or equivalent for user defined functions

I would like to update the status bar from within a user defined
function. Application.StatusBar works for macros / subroutines, but
does NOT work for user defined functions as best I can tell. Is there
an equivalent call? Any help will be appreciated.

Dave Peterson

Application.StatusBar or equivalent for user defined functions

Functions called from worksheet cells can't do this kind of thing.

About the only thing that they can do is return a value to the cell that owns
the formula.

--

Dave Peterson

Bob Nyholm

Bob Nyholm wrote:

I would like to update the status bar from within a user defined
function. *Application.StatusBar works for macros / subroutines, but
does NOT work for user defined functions as best I can tell. Is there
an equivalent call? Any help will be appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks for your help - wishful think on my part. I also tried
executing a subroutine from within the function to update the status
bar, again without success. Like you say, the function umbrella is
very restrictive.

Dave Peterson

Application.StatusBar or equivalent for user defined functions

And excel is pretty smart!

You can't fool it by hiding the code in subroutines of subroutines of
subroutines <vbg.