-   -   Delete an outlook contact using an Excel macro (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/408717-delete-outlook-contact-using-excel-macro.html)

mathew

Delete an outlook contact using an Excel macro

I have an excel spreadsheet that we keep our contacts in. Occasionally, we
need to replace one. When this happens, we just run a macro and it creates
the new contact in Outlook. Thanks to Gram Mayors template on this. But,
now we must go to Outlook and delete the old one. Not a problem for most
people, however, most of my co-workers are soon to be "Darwin Award Winners."
So, I've been tasked with developing a macro that will also delete the old
contact and create the new contact. As I said, I've got the code for the new
contact, but any ideas on how to delete a contact from Excel would be
welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bernie Deitrick

Delete an outlook contact using an Excel macro

Sub TryNow()
Dim objOL As Object
Dim myNS As Outlook.Namespace
Dim ConName As String

ConName = "Mathew"

Set objOL = CreateObject("outlook.application")
Set myNS = objOL.GetNamespace("MAPI")

If myNS.AddressLists("Contacts").AddressEntries(ConNa me).Name = ConName Then
myNS.AddressLists("Contacts").AddressEntries(ConNa me).Delete
End If

Set myNS = Nothing
Set objOL = Nothing

End Sub

If a contact name doesn't exist, then the next one is returned - hence the check...

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Mathew" wrote in message
I have an excel spreadsheet that we keep our contacts in. Occasionally, we
need to replace one. When this happens, we just run a macro and it creates
the new contact in Outlook. Thanks to Gram Mayors template on this. But,
now we must go to Outlook and delete the old one. Not a problem for most
people, however, most of my co-workers are soon to be "Darwin Award Winners."
So, I've been tasked with developing a macro that will also delete the old
contact and create the new contact. As I said, I've got the code for the new
contact, but any ideas on how to delete a contact from Excel would be
welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help!

mathew

Delete an outlook contact using an Excel macro

Bernie: Thanks for the help. However, the code did not function. I get a
funny error: Run-Time Error -2147221233 (8004010f)': when the code reaches
this line:
If myNS.AddressLists("Contacts").AddressEntries(ConNa me).Name = ConName Then
Another wrinkle is that I get a message saying that another program is
trying to access Outlook and ask permission to allow this. I check Ok and
the program still fails. Any ideas??

"Mathew" wrote in message
I have an excel spreadsheet that we keep our contacts in. Occasionally, we
need to replace one. When this happens, we just run a macro and it creates
the new contact in Outlook. Thanks to Gram Mayors template on this. But,
now we must go to Outlook and delete the old one. Not a problem for most
people, however, most of my co-workers are soon to be "Darwin Award Winners."
So, I've been tasked with developing a macro that will also delete the old
contact and create the new contact. As I said, I've got the code for the new
contact, but any ideas on how to delete a contact from Excel would be
welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help!

mathew

Delete an outlook contact using an Excel macro

Bernie: Thanks for the help. I got the problem solved!!