Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Merging wordsheets in Excel 2007

Hi to all,

I have the following task to do in Excel and am not sure how to
proceed:

I have several dictionary wordlists which I need to merge into one.
They are present in an workbook in Excel 2007 with two worksheets,
respectively named "French" and "German"

The first worksheet "French" contains an EnglishFrench wordlist which
goes like this:

Column A - Column B
aardvark - (n.) oryctérope (masculin)
aardwolf - protèle, petite hyène des savanes australe et orientale,
nocturne qui se nourrit d'insectes et de termites
abaca - (n.) abaque (plante philippine)
.... etc.

The Column A contains an English word and the Column B contains its
French equivalent or some explanation into French.

The second worksheet, named "German", contains an EnglishGerman list
of words - for example:

Column A - Column B
aardvark - (n.) Erdferkel, afrikan. Säugetier
abaca - <textil (musa textilis) * Abakafaser f ; Musafaser f ;
Manilahanf m ; Manilahanffaser f
.... etc.

My task is to merge the two worksheets into a single one (let's call
it "Merged"), containing the English word in Column A, the French
equivalent in Column B, and the German equivalent in Column C -
something like this:

Column A - Column B - Column C
aardvark - (n.) oryctérope (masculin) - (n.) Erdferkel, afrikan.
Säugetier
aardwolf - protèle, petite hyène des savanes australe et orientale,
nocturne qui se nourrit d'insectes et de termites - [empty cell]
abaca - (n.) abaque (plante philippine) - <textil (musa textilis) *
Abakafaser f ; Musafaser f ; Manilahanf m ; Manilahanffaser f
.... etc.

You can see that the EnglishFrench wordlist has an entry for
"aardwolf" whereas there is no such an entry in the EnglishGerman
wordlist. In such cases, the corresponding cell in Column C (for
German) must be left empty. If such a case occurs with a missing
French equivalent, then the corresponding cell in Column B (for
French) will be empty.

Can you help me achieving this task? I don't know if this can be done
by some build-in functionality of Excel 2007 or by means of a custom
macro.

Any idea?