-   -   How do I count the number of times a particular word is used? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/408092-how-do-i-count-number-times-particular-word-used.html)

markythesk8erboi

How do I count the number of times a particular word is used?

My question is in column (B) I have many different names of companies and
there are also blank cells. I want to know if I can have a count of how many
times each name has appeared into a seperate worksheet. For example: B1 = ABC
Co.

B2 = Fish inc.

B3 = ABC Co.
So in sheet number 4 I want a list that says something like ABC Co. 2,

Fish inc. 1.
Please remember also that there are MANY different names but only about a
dozen that I want for this count.

dan dungan

How do I count the number of times a particular word is used?

If your list is in a worksheet named Company List,

Insert a new worksheet named Counted Companies, list the company names
you want to count in column A.

in column b, put this formula and copy it down to the last item in
your list:

=COUNTIF('Company List'!A1:A369,A

Barb Reinhardt

How do I count the number of times a particular word is used?

Have you tried using the COUNTIF function?
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt