-   -   Workbooks property (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/407713-workbooks-property.html)

Rpettis31

Workbooks property

For the life of me I can not remember how to add a variable name to a file
path.
I have converted a file from text to xls and have saved it as myfile - date
in mmddyy

I have tried workbooks("myfile-"&date).close savechanges:=false.

but it does not like that.

JLGWhiz

Workbooks property

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=Workbooks(myFile & Format(Date, "mmddyy")

You can't add the date and us SaveChanges = False. It won't save anything.

"Rpettis31" wrote:

For the life of me I can not remember how to add a variable name to a file
path.
I have converted a file from text to xls and have saved it as myfile - date
in mmddyy

I have tried workbooks("myfile-"&date).close savechanges:=false.

but it does not like that.

Rpettis31

Workbooks property

The file has already been saved. I am copying data from this file and
pasting it to another workbook. I am just looking to close the workbook now.

"Rpettis31" wrote:

For the life of me I can not remember how to add a variable name to a file
path.
I have converted a file from text to xls and have saved it as myfile - date
in mmddyy

I have tried workbooks("myfile-"&date).close savechanges:=false.

but it does not like that.

JLGWhiz

Workbooks property

Either of these should work, depending on which workbook is active and which
contains the code that is running.

ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False
Workbooks(myFile & "-" & date) SaveChanges:=False

Using date as a variable in not a good idea since Date is a reserved word in
VB.
If you use it as a variable then it should be modified. i.e. myDate, edate,
etc.
Otherwise, it can create problems during runtime.

"Rpettis31" wrote:

For the life of me I can not remember how to add a variable name to a file
path.
I have converted a file from text to xls and have saved it as myfile - date
in mmddyy

I have tried workbooks("myfile-"&date).close savechanges:=false.

but it does not like that.

JLGWhiz

Workbooks property

If you still have problems, then try inserting this code snippet.

fName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
Workbooks(fName).Close SaveChanges:=False

"Rpettis31" wrote:

For the life of me I can not remember how to add a variable name to a file
path.
I have converted a file from text to xls and have saved it as myfile - date
in mmddyy

I have tried workbooks("myfile-"&date).close savechanges:=false.

but it does not like that.

Rpettis31

Workbooks property

This worked, Thanks...Its always the easiest answer that seems to always
cause me the most issues.

Thanks alot.
Robert