-   -   Can you write the contents of an Excel Named Range to Word? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/407367-can-you-write-contents-excel-named-range-word.html)

Anne[_6_]

Can you write the contents of an Excel Named Range to Word?

Hi: I am looking for any assistance to write the contents of an Excel
Named Range to a Word doc at a book marked location. I have been able
to write code to write a single cell to a bookmark, but when I try to
write the contents of a range, I don't get any data, although I don't
get any errors either; just no text.

I am using code to create the named range and it seems to be set up
correctly in Excel after the routine runs.

I am wondering if my approach is wrong and I should just copy and
paste the data from Excel to Word instead, although I thought using a
named range might be more efficient instead of using the clipboard.

The data I am copying is not going to be more than probably 500 cells.

I have written a few macros, but still very much new to this. Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

Anne

Barb Reinhardt

Can you write the contents of an Excel Named Range to Word?

It would help if you posted the code you already have.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Anne" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Barb. I wanted to simplify what I was doing. I removed the
steps to set up the named range and look for book marks. I did find a
way to write the data from the named range to a new Word doc with this
code, although I noticed even with a simple example of 3 columns and 3
rows, it still takes a few seconds to copy the data from Excel to
Word.

My ultimate goal is to have a spreadsheet with several tabs of data,
used for tracking project information (budget, status, risks, etc.),
then I want to generate a Word status report from the information in
the workbook. Since to accomplish my final project, I will need to
copy several tables from Excel to the Word doc, I want to make sure I
am doing it efficiently in terms of memory usage.

Here is the code I have that just opens a new doc and pastes in a
Named Range that I have set up manual in Excel.

Any advice to improve the process to get the table and pull it into
Word would be much appreciated.
---------------------

Sub CopyXLSDataToWord()

Dim WordApp As Word.Application
Dim WordDoc As Word.Document

' Create a Word document
Set WordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")

' Make the newly created Word instance visible
WordApp.Visible = True

' Create a new document
Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Add

' copy the range, assumes current excel active workbook
Range("TESTRANGE").Copy

' Paste as formatted text.
WordApp.Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteRTF,
_
Placement:=wdInLine, DisplayAsIcon:=False

'This line also seems to work into paste the data - don't know if
one is better to use
'WordApp.Selection.PasteExcelTable False, False, True

' Clean up
Set WordDoc = Nothing
Set WordApp = Nothing