Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need help with a randomization problem in Excel using PopTools

Hello!

I'm having trouble running the following randomization procedure in
PopTools 3.0 for Excel and could really use some help!

-I have two columns of paired comparisons. Each column contains 6000
values (rows).
-In a third column I calculated whether or not the two paired values
in row 1 are the same as the two paired values in row 2. The formula
indicates when adjacent rows are the same with a '1' and a '0' if they
are different.
-I then copied this formula all the way down the third column, so that
I could tell when paired values in immediately adjacent rows were the
same (i.e., rows 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, etc.).
-I then summed the cells of the third column to give me the total
number of times I had adjacent rows of paired values that were the
same.

Now,

-I need to shuffle the values in column 1 while keeping the original
values in column 2 the same, and recalculate the 1s and 0s in the
third column. I then need to repeat this step 1000 times, each time
calculating the sum of the third column and keeping this summed value
to create a sampling distribution.

The purpose of this test is to see if my original data have more or
fewer adjacent rows that are the same than random.

Thanks in advance,

Ilford