-   -   Optimization challenge (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/406941-optimization-challenge.html)

Spreadsheet Solutions[_2_]

Optimization challenge

I have a cycling management game in which cyclists (column A) score points
(column B) and cost money (column C).
After every stage I want to know what the ultimate team of 10 point scoring
cyclists is with the constraint that
the team of 10 may not cost more than 10.000.

I know quit well what Excel is capable of, but I am no maths expert.
What is the best apporach and does anybody have an idea.
Should I be using the solver, goal-seek or making a complex macro ?

Thanks in advance;

Mark Rosenkrantz
Spreadsheet Solutions
Netherlands
---

www.spreadsheetsolutions.nl

RB Smissaert

Optimization challenge

the ultimate team

How do you define that then?

RBS

"Spreadsheet Solutions" wrote in message
I have a cycling management game in which cyclists (column A) score points
(column B) and cost money (column C).
After every stage I want to know what the ultimate team of 10 point
scoring cyclists is with the constraint that
the team of 10 may not cost more than 10.000.

I know quit well what Excel is capable of, but I am no maths expert.
What is the best apporach and does anybody have an idea.
Should I be using the solver, goal-seek or making a complex macro ?

Thanks in advance;

Mark Rosenkrantz
Spreadsheet Solutions
Netherlands
---

www.spreadsheetsolutions.nl

Spreadsheet Solutions[_2_]

Optimization challenge

The ultimate 10.

10 riders with, in total, the most points that cost no more than 10.000.

So, it might be that the 10th rider does not make it, as he is the one that
makes the team of 10 cost more than 10.000.
The 11th rider might then come in. Even though he has less points, he does
not make the team cost more than 10.000.

"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
[...]

I take it that there are not that many riders, so simplest would be to loop
through all possible combinations and
see what gets you closest (but not above) 10.000.