-   -   variance-covariance matrix (w/o data analysis kit) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/406881-variance-covariance-matrix-w-o-data-analysis-kit.html)

Ryan[_14_]

variance-covariance matrix (w/o data analysis kit)

How do I calculate the variance/covariance matrix (w/o using the data
analysis kit)?

Say I have a matrix X (each column of the matrix represents a
different variable), would the consistent variance/covariance matrix
be X'X/(N-1)?

However, when I calculate the covariance-matrix from the data analysis
program, I get a different answer (even considering the n/n-1
recalculation) from X'X/(N-1). They are close but still slightly
different. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.