Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Default Searching/Retrieving Data from another Workbook

Hello all,

I'm having some performance issues with something I'm working on, and I'm
hoping someone can point out some solutions. Maybe there's something I can
take advantage of that I didn't know about it.

I've got a list of product numbers. I'm trying to match the product number
(WB1) to a description that is contained in another workbook (WB2). WB1 and
WB2 can both contain thousands of rows.

This product number/description matching is being done in a macro that does
additional formatting. The macro runs fine until I get to this function.

My first attempt was to set the cell formula in WB1 to a vlookup to get the
value from WB2. This is PAINFULLY slow. I tried turning calculation to
manual, but it hasn't helped.

Then I thought I would search for the product number in WB2 myself. So I
have a function (in WB1) that opens WB2, and searches (in a do while loop)
through the appropriate column for a product number, and if found retrieves
the product description and places it in a cell in WB1. This is also
PAINFULLY slow.

I'm at a complete loss. I don't know any way to retrieve the value need
from WB2 without significant slowdown. I need to keep modifications to WB2
to a minimum, but if I can expect improved performance, I will push for
modifications. And I can't be sure that the list will be sorted or anything
like that.

If anyone has any insight into this issue, I would LOVE to hear it. I'll
take anything you've got.

Thanks,
Jay
--
Disregard, this is so I can find my post later.
***postedbyJay***