-   -   Determining if a cell has an external reference ... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/406487-determining-if-cell-has-external-reference.html)

M100C[_2_]

Determining if a cell has an external reference ...

All,
Is there a way to determine whether a range (cell) has an external
reference (e.g. ='C:\Documents and Settings\M100C\My Documents
\Spreadsheets\[networth.xls]Sheet1'!$E$1) without parsing the Formula
property? I could not find any other range properties that seemed to
unambiguously indicate that the source of data was outside the
workbook.

If not, I have not considered all of the potential Formula property
values for various data sources, and if parsing is needed, is there a
specific string or characters (maybe[*]) that would indicate that the
range has an external reference.

Thanks,
Chris

JLGWhiz

Determining if a cell has an external reference ...

In Excel help search for " Display the relationships between formulas and
cells "

"M100C" wrote:

All,
Is there a way to determine whether a range (cell) has an external
reference (e.g. ='C:\Documents and Settings\M100C\My Documents
\Spreadsheets\[networth.xls]Sheet1'!$E$1) without parsing the Formula
property? I could not find any other range properties that seemed to
unambiguously indicate that the source of data was outside the
workbook.

If not, I have not considered all of the potential Formula property
values for various data sources, and if parsing is needed, is there a
specific string or characters (maybe[*]) that would indicate that the
range has an external reference.

Thanks,
Chris

JLGWhiz

Determining if a cell has an external reference ...

Using VBA:

ActiveCell.ShowPrecedents 'To show the arrows

ActiveSheet.ActiveCell.ShowPrecedents remove:=True