-   -   Test if a file is password protected (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/403288-test-if-file-password-protected.html)

Nigel[_2_]

Test if a file is password protected

I have a process that sequentially opens and processes all xls files in a
chosen folder. This works OK, however if I come across a file with a
password open protection, I wish to detect it, then pass over these files.

I am using the following to open each file

Set wB = Workbooks.Open(myFile)

If the file has an open password I get the standard dialog to enter a
password.

How can I avoid this by detecting a the file is password protected?

Nigel

Susan

Test if a file is password protected

i searched the newsgroup quickly & it seems you can't just determine
whether or not it has a password - you have to try to open it & let it
tell you, then deal with the "consequences". this thread might have
some help for you....

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6d550f97240fb3

hth
susan

On Dec 27, 8:53*am, "Nigel" wrote:
I have a process that sequentially opens and processes all xls files in a
chosen folder. *This works OK, however if I come across a file with a
password open protection, I wish to detect it, then pass over these files.

I am using the following to open each file

Set wB = Workbooks.Open(myFile)

If the file has an open password I get the standard dialog to enter a
password.

How can I avoid this by detecting a the file is password protected?

Nigel

Nigel[_2_]

Test if a file is password protected

Thanks, useful.