-   -   referencing Solver.xlam vs. Solver.xla - 2007 vs. 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/401413-referencing-solver-xlam-vs-solver-xla-2007-vs-2003-a.html)

Duke Carey

referencing Solver.xlam vs. Solver.xla - 2007 vs. 2003

Has anyone a solution to reference issues such as this:

I was asked to create a tool using Solver for use by a co-worker & his
department. They are all using Office 2003 while I am on Office 2007.

My code must reference the 2007 solver add-in, Solver.xlam, while to run on
their PCs it must reference solver.xla. Each round of testing requires that
the tester go thru the steps of 'de-referencing' the xlam and referencing the
xla.

Is there a technique for "conditional referencing" depending on the version
of Excel?

Jon Peltier

referencing Solver.xlam vs. Solver.xla - 2007 vs. 2003

If you use late binding, you don't need to reference either solver add-in:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/SolverVBA.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Has anyone a solution to reference issues such as this:

I was asked to create a tool using Solver for use by a co-worker & his
department. They are all using Office 2003 while I am on Office 2007.

My code must reference the 2007 solver add-in, Solver.xlam, while to run
on
their PCs it must reference solver.xla. Each round of testing requires
that
the tester go thru the steps of 'de-referencing' the xlam and referencing
the
xla.

Is there a technique for "conditional referencing" depending on the
version
of Excel?

Duke Carey

referencing Solver.xlam vs. Solver.xla - 2007 vs. 2003

Jon -

Hate to sound dense, but your solution specifically references the xla.
Does that mean I have to check to Excel version and call xla or xlam,
depending?

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Has anyone a solution to reference issues such as this:

I was asked to create a tool using Solver for use by a co-worker & his
department. They are all using Office 2003 while I am on Office 2007.

My code must reference the 2007 solver add-in, Solver.xlam, while to run
on
their PCs it must reference solver.xla. Each round of testing requires
that
the tester go thru the steps of 'de-referencing' the xlam and referencing
the
xla.

Is there a technique for "conditional referencing" depending on the
version
of Excel?

Duke Carey

referencing Solver.xlam vs. Solver.xla - 2007 vs. 2003

Jon - ignore my last message. My adult literacy class hasn't helped as much
as it should. The second reading of your site made it clear. Thanks for the
info.