-   -   SYLK files Excel Picture format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/400332-sylk-files-excel-picture-format.html)

Andrew Kennard[_2_]

SYLK files Excel Picture format

Hi all

I'm trying to create some SYLK file to be read in by Excel

I have found (via this newsgroup) this page on wiki pedia that gives most of
the info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)

It explains the "F record" but not the "P record" format. It simply says
"Excel style picture format"

Can someone tell me where I can find the doumentation for this format ie how
to pick apart

P;P"$"#,##0.00;;\-"$"#,##0.00
P;P_-"$"* #,##0_-;;\-"$"* #,##0_-;;_-"$"* "-"_-;;_-@_-
etc etc

Thanks

Andrew

Myrna Larson

SYLK files Excel Picture format

In situations like this, I've found that the quickest solution is to set up a
workbook with the characteristics you want (in this case with a picture), save
it in SLK format, and look at the file with a text editor.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:46:58 -0000, "Andrew Kennard" wrote:

Hi all

I'm trying to create some SYLK file to be read in by Excel

I have found (via this newsgroup) this page on wiki pedia that gives most of
the info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)

It explains the "F record" but not the "P record" format. It simply says
"Excel style picture format"

Can someone tell me where I can find the doumentation for this format ie how
to pick apart

P;P"$"#,##0.00;;\-"$"#,##0.00
P;P_-"$"* #,##0_-;;\-"$"* #,##0_-;;_-"$"* "-"_-;;_-@_-
etc etc

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Kennard[_2_]

SYLK files Excel Picture format

Thanks Myrna

Good suggestion

But surely it must be documented somewhere otherwise how would anyone know
what formatting options are supported ?

Thanks

Andrew

"Myrna Larson" wrote in message
[...]

SYLK format came in with Multiplan, back in the 1980's -- about 20 years ago.
I haven't seen any printed or on-line documentation since thos Multiplan days.

I don't know how much effort MS has put into updating it to include new
capabilities of the binary files. As I said, the best approach, IMO, is to try
it and see.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:15:58 -0000, "Andrew Kennard" wrote:

Thanks Myrna

Good suggestion

But surely it must be documented somewhere otherwise how would anyone know
what formatting options are supported ?

Thanks

Andrew

.. .