-   -   Shell command writes file to wrong directory (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/400029-shell-command-writes-file-wrong-directory.html)

dustin

Shell command writes file to wrong directory

I'm calling a command line exe from within Excel 2007 using VBA. The problem
I'm having is the exe outputs a file, e.g. foobar.txt, but it always puts it
in the last directory I opened an Excel file from rather than the directory
where the exe is being called.

For example, say I open a spreadsheet in "c:\excel\worksheet.xls" and in VBA
I call an exe in "c:\test\foobar.exe". The file that foobar.exe generates
gets copied into "c:\excel" instead of "c:\test"

Anyone know what's going on and how to prevent it?

thanks,
Dustin

Chip Pearson

Shell command writes file to wrong directory

You might try using ChDrive and ChDir before Shell'ing to the exe. Either
that or use a BAT file that calls the EXE and in the BAT file use CD to
change the current directory.

ChDrive "C:\Test"
ChDir "C:\Test"
Shell "C:\Test\foobar.exe"

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Dustin" wrote in message
I'm calling a command line exe from within Excel 2007 using VBA. The
problem
I'm having is the exe outputs a file, e.g. foobar.txt, but it always puts
it
in the last directory I opened an Excel file from rather than the
directory
where the exe is being called.

For example, say I open a spreadsheet in "c:\excel\worksheet.xls" and in
VBA
I call an exe in "c:\test\foobar.exe". The file that foobar.exe generates
gets copied into "c:\excel" instead of "c:\test"

Anyone know what's going on and how to prevent it?

thanks,
Dustin

dustin

Shell command writes file to wrong directory

I think that did it, thanks!