-   -   Handling Errors with Workbooks.OpenText (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/399386-handling-errors-workbooks-opentext.html)

David

Handling Errors with Workbooks.OpenText

I've got this line of code:

Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=sFilePath & ".xls", _
DataType:=xlDelimited, Tab:=True

The file is opened using the path and filename entered by the user
into a form.

How can I handle errors so that if the file/path is invalid or the
file doesn't exist, it gives an error message rather than falling
over?

Thanks.

papou[_3_]

Handling Errors with Workbooks.OpenText

Hello David
Use an Error Handler eg:
Sub tester()
On Error GoTo tester_Error

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=SFilepath & ".xls", _
DataType:=xlDelimited, Tab:=True

On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub

tester_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure
tester of Module Module1"

End Sub

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"David" a écrit dans le message de news:
I've got this line of code:

Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=sFilePath & ".xls", _
DataType:=xlDelimited, Tab:=True

The file is opened using the path and filename entered by the user
into a form.

How can I handle errors so that if the file/path is invalid or the
file doesn't exist, it gives an error message rather than falling
over?

Thanks.

David

Handling Errors with Workbooks.OpenText

On Oct 16, 9:10 am, "papou"
wrote:
Hello David
Use an Error Handler eg:
Sub tester()
On Error GoTo tester_Error

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=SFilepath & ".xls", _
DataType:=xlDelimited, Tab:=True

On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub

tester_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure
tester of Module Module1"

End Sub

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"David" a écrit dans le message de news:
. com...

I've got this line of code:

Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=sFilePath & ".xls", _
DataType:=xlDelimited, Tab:=True

The file is opened using the path and filename entered by the user
into a form.

How can I handle errors so that if the file/path is invalid or the
file doesn't exist, it gives an error message rather than falling
over?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Pascal, that was exactly what I wanted.