-   -   In-Cell Drop Down Via Data Validation (Auto Search) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/399378-cell-drop-down-via-data-validation-auto-search.html)

Coby

In-Cell Drop Down Via Data Validation (Auto Search)

Is there a way to program and auto search into the in-cell drop down
list which searches as the user types?

I am using data validation in cells using the in-cell dropdown feature
and want the user to be able to begin typing and have the search
narrow to the closest match in the list rather than having the user
scroll through looking for the item he/she wants to select.

This is a very common feature used in combo boxes and such, but don't
know how to do it in this instance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Coby.

Gord Dibben

In-Cell Drop Down Via Data Validation (Auto Search)

DV dropdowns have no autocomplete feature.

You must use a combobox in conjunction with the DV list

See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions on programming

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Oct 15, 3:36 pm, Coby wrote:
Is there a way to program and auto search into the in-cell drop down
list which searches as the user types?

I am using data validation in cells using the in-cell dropdown feature
and want the user to be able to begin typing and have the search
narrow to the closest match in the list rather than having the user
scroll through looking for the item he/she wants to select.

This is a very common feature used in combo boxes and such, but don't
know how to do it in this instance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Coby.

Great, I went to the link and it looks like I have some work to do,
but looks like that will do the trick.

Thanks,
Coby.

Coby

On Oct 15, 5:06 pm, Coby wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:36 pm, Coby wrote:

Is there a way to program and auto search into the in-cell drop down
list which searches as the user types?

I am using data validation in cells using the in-cell dropdown feature
and want the user to be able to begin typing and have the search
narrow to the closest match in the list rather than having the user
scroll through looking for the item he/she wants to select.

This is a very common feature used in combo boxes and such, but don't
know how to do it in this instance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Coby.

Great, I went to the link and it looks like I have some work to do,
but looks like that will do the trick.

Thanks,
Coby.

This works great!!! Thanks, guys. You're awesome.

Coby.