-   -   Passing a string to Case statement (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/398664-passing-string-case-statement.html)

Beertje

Passing a string to Case statement

My current code reads:

Select Case Cells(i, 8)
Case "ABC", "DEF", "GHI"
End select

Since I have different of these cases I wonder if it is possible to use a
variable as follows:

Dim CaseVariable as variant
Set CaseVariable= "ABC"
Select Case Cells(i, 8)
Case CaseVariable
End select

So far I cannot get this working. Is it possible? Please advise.

papou[_2_]

Passing a string to Case statement

Hello Beertje
Declare your variable as String and may be constant as well:
Const CaseVariable As String = "ABC"
Select Case Cells(i,8)
Case CaseVariable
'....

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"Beertje" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
My current code reads:

Select Case Cells(i, 8)
Case "ABC", "DEF", "GHI"
End select

Since I have different of these cases I wonder if it is possible to use a
variable as follows:

Dim CaseVariable as variant
Set CaseVariable= "ABC"
Select Case Cells(i, 8)
Case CaseVariable
End select

So far I cannot get this working. Is it possible? Please advise.

Beertje

Passing a string to Case statement

For 1 entry no problem but how to get this work for 2 or more like:
"ABC", "DEF", "GHI"

thx.

"papou" wrote:

[...]

Dunno if this could be useful in your case but anyway:
Dim CaseVariable(0 To 2)
CaseVariable(0) = "ABC"
CaseVariable(1) = "DEF"
CaseVariable(2) = "GHI"
Select Case Cells(1, 8)
Case CaseVariable(0) To CaseVariable(2)
MsgBox "match found"
End Select

"papou" wrote:

[...]

Got it working.
thx
using
Case casevar(1), casevar(2), casevar(3), casevar(4)
works better, since I can then have also an empty string.