-   -   Converting a Column of Numbers Displayed as Text to Numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/397299-converting-column-numbers-displayed-text-numbers.html)

cardan

Converting a Column of Numbers Displayed as Text to Numbers

Hello,

I have a situation where I think an easy macro would do the trick,
however, I am somewhat new to macros. I have a set of numbers that I
import from a different accounting program. The numbers that are
imported, are the accounting codes and they are all in column A and
are seen by Excel as text. I can convert them to a numbers, but the
process is time consuming. Is there a macro that will convert the text
numbers in Column A to actual numbers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ron Coderre

Converting a Column of Numbers Displayed as Text to Numbers

There are a handful of techniques...

Try this first:

Select the one-column range of "numbers"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns.....Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

(XL2003, Win XP)

"cardan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have a situation where I think an easy macro would do the trick,
however, I am somewhat new to macros. I have a set of numbers that I
import from a different accounting program. The numbers that are
imported, are the accounting codes and they are all in column A and
are seen by Excel as text. I can convert them to a numbers, but the
process is time consuming. Is there a macro that will convert the text
numbers in Column A to actual numbers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Gary Keramidas

Converting a Column of Numbers Displayed as Text to Numbers

you can try this:

copy a blank cell
select all of the cells in the column you want to change
right click, select paste special
under operation, select add
click ok

--

Gary

"cardan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have a situation where I think an easy macro would do the trick,
however, I am somewhat new to macros. I have a set of numbers that I
import from a different accounting program. The numbers that are
imported, are the accounting codes and they are all in column A and
are seen by Excel as text. I can convert them to a numbers, but the
process is time consuming. Is there a macro that will convert the text
numbers in Column A to actual numbers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

[email protected]

On Sep 12, 8:54 am, cardan wrote:
Hello,

I have a situation where I think an easy macro would do the trick,
however, I am somewhat new to macros. I have a set of numbers that I
import from a different accounting program. The numbers that are
imported, are the accounting codes and they are all in column A and
are seen by Excel as text. I can convert them to a numbers, but the
process is time consuming. Is there a macro that will convert the text
numbers in Column A to actual numbers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Just multiply those column A with 1 in a different column, this should
do the magic!

cardan

Converting a Column of Numbers Displayed as Text to Numbers

On Sep 11, 6:21 pm, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:
There are a handful of techniques...

Try this first:

Select the one-column range of "numbers"

From the Excel Main Menu:

"cardan" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hello,

I have a situation where I think an easy macro would do the trick,
however, I am somewhat new to macros. I have a set of numbers that I
import from a different accounting program. The numbers that are
imported, are the accounting codes and they are all in column A and
are seen by Excel as text. I can convert them to a numbers, but the
process is time consuming. Is there a macro that will convert the text
numbers in Column A to actual numbers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.- Hide quoted text -

Ron, Thank you for the response.I think the Text to Columns will work.
However, when I record a macro is there a way to have the macro
automatically select the last cell in the column? Thanks again.