-   -   Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/393152-number-cells-excel-2000-2003-a.html)

jfcby[_2_]

Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003

Hello,

I have a worksheet that has 4 columns of data. Beginning in Column 1
Row 4 I have numbers in cells then it may be 2 to 8 blank cells down
the column.

How can a macro beginning with Column 1 Row 4 with the number 1 and
count down the column sequentlly skipping the blank cells.

Thank you for your help,
jfcby

Mike H

Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003

Hi,

A macro could do that in several ways but what do you want it to do as it
counts down the column?

Mike

"jfcby" wrote:

Hello,

I have a worksheet that has 4 columns of data. Beginning in Column 1
Row 4 I have numbers in cells then it may be 2 to 8 blank cells down
the column.

How can a macro beginning with Column 1 Row 4 with the number 1 and
count down the column sequentlly skipping the blank cells.

Thank you for your help,
jfcby

jfcby[_2_]

Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003

Hi,

A macro could do that in several ways but what do you want it to do as it
counts down the column?

Mike

I want column 1 cells to have sequential numbers if column 2 same
cells has data in it. If column 2 cell is blank I want column one same
cell blank.

Thank you for your help,
jfcby

Mike H

Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003

Try this

Sub mersible()
x = 1
With ActiveSheet
lastrow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
End With
Set myrange = Range("A1:A" & lastrow)
myrange.Select
For Each c In myrange
c.Select
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value = "" Then
ActiveCell.Value = x
x = x + 1
End If
Next
End Sub

Mike

"jfcby" wrote:

Hi,

A macro could do that in several ways but what do you want it to do as it
counts down the column?

Mike

I want column 1 cells to have sequential numbers if column 2 same
cells has data in it. If column 2 cell is blank I want column one same
cell blank.

Thank you for your help,
jfcby

jfcby[_2_]

Number Cells, Excel 2000 & 2003

Hello Mike,

Your code worked great!

The only thing was it put a number in column 1 cell if column 2 cell
was empty. I needed it to put a number in column 1 cell if column 2
cell had data in it.

So I modified the code this way:

Sub mersible2()
'This code will put sequential numbers in column 1 if column 2 has
data

x = 1
With ActiveSheet
LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
End With
Set myRange = Range("A4:A" & LastRow) '<< Changed to start with
Range("A4:A")
myRange.Select
For Each C In myRange
C.Select
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value "" Then '<< Cahnged = to
ActiveCell.Value = x
x = x + 1
End If
Next