-   -   Change default Save As file type (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/392849-change-default-save-file-type.html)

Greg Lovern

Change default Save As file type

Without removing and replacing Excel 2003's File Save As menu command,
is there any possibility of changing the default file type in Excel's
Save As dialog?

What about in Excel 2007?

I understand how to do it with a custom Save As procedure using
GetSaveAsFileName, just need to know if anything can be done with
Excel's built-in Save As.

Thanks,

Greg

Vasant Nanavati

Change default Save As file type

You can show the built-in dialog with a different file type, but I don't
think that is what you are asking.

For example:

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show , 3

will show .txt as the default extension.

But AFAIK there is no way to change the default file type permanently.

"Greg Lovern" wrote in message
oups.com...
Without removing and replacing Excel 2003's File Save As menu command,
is there any possibility of changing the default file type in Excel's
Save As dialog?

What about in Excel 2007?

I understand how to do it with a custom Save As procedure using
GetSaveAsFileName, just need to know if anything can be done with
Excel's built-in Save As.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Lovern

Change default Save As file type

I would guess it could be done with subclassing, though it might not
be worth the development time. Are there any examples available of
subclassing Excel's Save As dialog?

Also, I recall reading that 64-bit Windows Vista would drop support
for subclassing -- is that correct?

Thanks,

Greg

On Jul 6, 5:36 pm, "Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn AT aol DOT com wrote:
You can show the built-in dialog with a different file type, but I don't
think that is what you are asking.

For example:

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show , 3

will show .txt as the default extension.

But AFAIK there is no way to change the default file type permanently.

"Greg Lovern" wrote in message

oups.com...

Without removing and replacing Excel 2003's File Save As menu command,
is there any possibility of changing the default file type in Excel's
Save As dialog?

What about in Excel 2007?

I understand how to do it with a custom Save As procedure using
GetSaveAsFileName, just need to know if anything can be done with
Excel's built-in Save As.

Thanks,

Greg- Hide quoted text -