-   -   Unable to Open Excel File (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/391430-unable-open-excel-file.html)

Curious

Unable to Open Excel File

I have an excel file about 86 MB with macros, smart tags and lot of rich
formats and cell comments etc. I seem to get error "Unable to open file" when
file exceeds 84 MB, it also says it is unable to repair. I am very
disappointed to say the list. When Excel recovers the file all macros are
deleted as well as all formats are gone.

Can someone offer suggestions ?

JLGWhiz

Unable to Open Excel File

I'm surprised you could pack it in like that. I usually store my archives on
CD and preserve my code in a text file somewhere.

"curious" wrote:

I have an excel file about 86 MB with macros, smart tags and lot of rich
formats and cell comments etc. I seem to get error "Unable to open file" when
file exceeds 84 MB, it also says it is unable to repair. I am very
disappointed to say the list. When Excel recovers the file all macros are
deleted as well as all formats are gone.

Can someone offer suggestions ?

JLatham

Unable to Open Excel File

As I posted in your similar mssg to MSFT above, many limits are set by the
amount of available memory.

If you'd like me to try to see if I can help recover anything more from it,
you can either use a service such as YouSendIt.com or put it in an internet
accessible location and send notification of location to (remove spaces)
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com. I will treat the information as confidential and
proprietary. No promises - and if your system has 2GB RAM, then probably no
help here, as that's the amount in my systems.