-   -   Run code when ANY file opens (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/389851-run-code-when-any-file-opens.html)

Shimmess

Run code when ANY file opens

I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

moon

Run code when ANY file opens

In a module, create an Auto_Open macro, like:

Public Sub Auto_Open()
'do the hokie pokie
End Sub

Save your file with the .xla extension, to make it an Add-in.
Pick Extra/Add-ins and check your own file. After that, it'll always run
when Excel is opened.

"Shimmess" schreef in bericht
I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in
excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

Tom Ogilvy

Run code when ANY file opens

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/appevent.htm

so you would need to start application level events by using an addin in
Excel that is loaded when excel starts.

Tom Ogilvy

"Shimmess" wrote:

I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

Shimmess

Run code when ANY file opens

Will this work then on a file that is opened and excel is already running?

"moon" wrote:

In a module, create an Auto_Open macro, like:

Public Sub Auto_Open()
'do the hokie pokie
End Sub

Save your file with the .xla extension, to make it an Add-in.
Pick Extra/Add-ins and check your own file. After that, it'll always run
when Excel is opened.

"Shimmess" schreef in bericht
I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in
excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

Tom Ogilvy

Run code when ANY file opens

It only runs when the addin gets loaded - it has nothing to do with any other
file being opened. So the short answer is no.

Tom Ogilvy

"moon" wrote:

In a module, create an Auto_Open macro, like:

Public Sub Auto_Open()
'do the hokie pokie
End Sub

Save your file with the .xla extension, to make it an Add-in.
Pick Extra/Add-ins and check your own file. After that, it'll always run
when Excel is opened.

"Shimmess" schreef in bericht
I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in
excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

Shimmess

Run code when ANY file opens

thuoght so. Your suggestion works fine. It seems that the application that
is launching the ecel files I want to edit is able to bypass the code I put
in. Is it possible for apps to code in to bypass the Open function? If they
did, any other options to force my code anyways or am I out of luck?

"moon" wrote:

In a module, create an Auto_Open macro, like:

Public Sub Auto_Open()
'do the hokie pokie
End Sub

Save your file with the .xla extension, to make it an Add-in.
Pick Extra/Add-ins and check your own file. After that, it'll always run
when Excel is opened.

"Shimmess" schreef in bericht
I want to run some VBA code on a PC whenever ANY workbook is opened in
excel.
It can not only be when excel opens, it need to be even if a new file is
oened once excel is already running. Any suggestions?

Tom Ogilvy

Run code when ANY file opens

I suspect if excel is being launched by some other application, then your
addin isn't being loaded. There wouldn't be a way around this that I could
think of. When excel is opened via automation, it doesn't load addins or
files in the xlstart directory.

Just a guess that your code is correct and that is what is happening.

Tom Ogilvy